10 Best Ways To Take Care of Your Skin by - Sally Larsen, founder and formulator at Sally B’s Skin Yummies
Posted on July 30 2015
10 Best Ways To Take Care of Your Skin by Sally Larsen, founder and formulator at Sally B’s Skin Yummies
Some of the best things you can do for your skin don't require gimmicky routines. Rather, thoughtfulness, consistency, and smart product choices are the three things you need to create a foundation of healthy, beautiful skin. From exercising regularly to eating a balanced diet to being conscious of the products you use, we give you 10 simple ways to love your skin for fantastic results.
The 10 Best Ways to Take Care of Your Skin
- Cleanse Your Face Twice a Day. Using a gentle, non-toxic cleanser, like our Sally B’s Skin Yummies Tamanu Luxury Facial Cleanser, wash your face morning and night (and after bouts of excess sweating) to ensure that skin and pores are free of dirt, grime, and bacteria. Failure to do so can increase pore size, make skin oilier, and even cause acne.
- Get Plenty of Good Sleep. Getting good, restful sleep is essential for proper skin cell and tissue rejuvenation. Achieve restful sleep by clearing your mind as much as possible before your head hits the pillow. Power down cellphones, TV, and other stimulating activities about thirty minutes before your intended bedtime, and read a “for fun” book or listen to music instead.
- Choose Your Environments Wisely. Heavy air pollution, cigarette smoke, or artificial fragrance can greatly impact skin health by forming free radicals or causing skin irritations. Be conscious of your environment and opt to hang out in healthy spaces as often as possible. If you can’t, you can help repair skin with thoughtful product selection. Think a good cleanser and antioxidants!
- Exfoliate Your Face Gently. When skin is dry and flaky we can be tempted to scrub with abrasive ingredients. But resist the urge! Doing so can cause skin irritation or even break the delicate capillaries in the skin. Instead, look for gentle, but effective, exfoliating ingredients like alpha hydroxy acids (AHA) found in natural fruit acids. Our Sally B’s Skin Yummies Fruit Acid Toner is a great option.
- Exercise Regularly. Exercise – like doing yoga or going for a run – helps to increase blood flow to skin to help keep it clear and free of toxins. It also helps to decrease stress, which we know from experience can have an unsightly effect on skin.
- Use A Daily Moisturizer. No matter what your skin type – dry, oily, combination, or acne prone – maintaining a healthy moisture balance is extremely important. Proper moisture – from products like our Tinted Moisturizer or Peptide Booster Serum - helps prevent dry, flaky skin, and keeps skin cells performing at their most optimal. This can help prevent fine lines and wrinkles from forming.
- Drink Plenty of Water. Drinking water feeds the skin from the inside, helping to keep it soft and supple. Dehydration has been known to cause dry and cracked skin. But did you know it can also contribute to dark under-eye circles and acne?
- Wear An SPF. Too much sun can seriously damage skin. Not only can it dry it out, but it can also create damaging free radicals, which we know contribute to unwanted fine lines, wrinkles, and dark spots. Sunscreen acts as a first line of defense against the sun’s harmful rays and should always be worn during prolonged times of sun exposure.
- Increase Consumption of Antioxidants. Antioxidants neutralize free radicals, so it’s important to fuel your body with these hardworking ingredients. Use products like our Antioxidant Daytime or Nighttime Serum and our Antioxidant Boost that include them in their formulations (look for Vitamin C, Green Tea, Olive Leaf, Licorice Root, and Pomegranate just to name a few) or incorporate them into your diet. Blueberries, sweet potatoes, strawberries, and broccoli are all good food sources of antioxidants.
- Read Ingredient Listings. You can’t trust a product’s marketing claims, so you have to be your own expert and self-police the products you buy. Look at ingredient listings and avoid products that have red flag ingredients like mineral oil, parabens, propylene glycol, and artificial fragrance. Instead look for products made with non-toxic, organic ingredients that do no harm to the skin. You can also turn to trusted resources like Safe & Chic to help you do your homework to find the products right for you.
Unfortunately there is no one sure-fire solution for clear skin. Finding balance and adopting a healthy lifestyle is an essential piece in achieving your skin goals.